Job Category: Estimating
Req. Number: ESTIM01176
Posted Date: 2020-11-19
Location: Salt Lake City, UT 1193 West 2200 South Salt Lake City, UT 84119, USA
Note: This is temporary position
Your role as an Estimating Assistant
As an Estimating Assistant, you will assist with preparing contract proposal estimates for one or more disciplines, including the determination of applicable project plans and specifications. Disciplines could be plumbing, piping or sheet metal systems.
- Assist in developing proposals and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Estimate sizes, distances, and quantities; or determine time, costs, resources, or materials needed to perform a work activity.
- Analyze blueprints and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates.
- Prepare estimates by calculating complete takeoff of scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Review proposal specifications and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- May assist in reviewing design options and recommend best solution based on cost, engineering quality, or availability of materials.
- Assist in developing proposals for current or prospective customers.
- Develop and deliver accurate project cost estimates.
- Assist in reviewing material and labor requirements to determine most cost-effective outcome.
- Assist in obtaining quotes from subcontractors and vendors, adhering to scope and specification.
What we're looking for in you
- Current student working toward degree in mechanical engineering or related field, or recent graduate
- Interest in pursuing a career in the construction industry.
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving, and ability to identify problems
Your life at Harris
As one of the country's leading mechanical contractors, Harris offers you the best of both worlds: the stability, resources and opportunities of a national company, and the team culture, creative spirit and customer loyalty of a local business. If you thrive on variety and new challenges, we want to meet you!
From stadiums to manufacturing facilities, power plants to hospitals, concert halls to classrooms, we handle projects of all sizes and complexity from multiple regional locations across the country.
Check out our growth opportunities with our career path options: (https://www.harriscompany.com/careers/harris-career-path-options)
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)