Manager, Technical Support Group
Balchem Corporation develops, manufactures and markets specialty ingredients that improve and enhance the health and well-being of life on the planet, providing state-of-the-art solutions and the finest quality products for a range of industries worldwide. Our corporate headquarters is located in New Hampton, New York, (Hudson Valley area) and we have a broad network of sales offices, manufacturing sites, and R&D centers, primarily located in the US and Europe. Founded in 1967, Balchem is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ - BCPC) with annual revenues over $640 million and a market cap exceeding $3.0 billion. The company consists of three business segments: Human Nutrition & Health; Animal Nutrition & Health; and Specialty Products. Balchem employs over 1,400 people worldwide who are engaged in diverse activities, committed to developing the company into global market leadership positions. To learn more about our dynamic, stable and growing company, visit www.balchem.com
The Manager of the Technical Support Group will lead a team of scientists and engineers engaged in product development and technical support of Balchem's Minerals and Nutrients and Plant Nutrition product lines, ensuring effective execution of projects from the laboratory and pilot scale up to the manufacturing plant. This position will have strong relationships with the Commercial, Purchasing, Quality, Engineering, and Manufacturing organizations across Balchem's business unit network. This person will develop a high performing R&D team that focuses on improving spray drying, granulating, and blending of specialty dietary ingredients and plant nutrients, in order to sustain current capabilities and develop them for the future.
- Responsible for promoting the safety culture of the R&D Technical Support Group, including the pilot facilities in Ogden, UT. Ensure that employees are working safely, that the laboratory and pilot plant are inspected monthly, the chemical inventory system is functioning properly, and that effective SOPs are written and followed.
- Lead the group in executing a portfolio of development, scale-up, and technical support projects across the Balchem plant network supporting human and plant nutrients. Facilitate prioritization of projects across the R&D portfolio and within the BU programs.
- Champion the Support Project Process workflow, activities, and deliverables. Assign project managers to projects, balance the workload of team members, and individually shoulder project manager responsibilities.
- Develop a system to design and manage industrial level processes to improve yield, increase quality and produce cost savings through higher efficiencies/optimum use of current/new raw materials.
- Act as a technical resource for the organization to resolve internal or customer related issues as they arise.
- Design and conduct technical experiments, making detailed observations, analyzing data, recording and interpreting results, and conveying results in an effective manner
- Design and perform laboratory process studies for manufacturing products; test proposed processes in small scale and pilot operations. Work with the Operations organization to successfully transfer products/processes into the manufacturing facilities.
- Build and maintain a team of highly competent, effective, and results-focused individuals.
- Bachelor of Science Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or closely related field. Graduate degree preferred.
- 5+ years of product development food, dietary supplement, or pharmaceutical industries
- 10+ years management experience
- Strong working knowledge of chemistry.
- Ability to develop industrial chemical processes.
- Ability to identify and solve complex problems.
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills.
- Experience with spray drying, granulation, and blending equipment.
- Experience in a regulated (cGMP) environment.
- Capability to leverage technical and functional expertise to solve broader business issues.
- Understand the commercialization process with proven experience of its application.
- Ability to learn new categories quickly and provide appropriate guidance.
- A leader who is able to motivate and retain individuals of diverse talents and interests.
- An individual who will effectively communicate, energize, and motivate people in a variety of business functions.
- Have a passion for achieving end-to-end success by taking ideas from their conceptual stage to marketplace execution.
- A manager with solid interpersonal skills in listening, coaching, communicating with integrity, and showing appreciation.
- A professional who can respectfully influence those around them to achieve common objectives.
- A goal-oriented leader who provides a sense of direction and perseveres to achieve positive results.
- Have a proven track record of delivering extraordinary results